The flavor combo is a sweet tea flavored cupcake topped with light peach buttercream. Overall, I think it turned out pretty well. Though, I would advise using a strongly brewed tea. I definitely got a tea flavor from the cupcakes, but it could have been more pronounced by starting with a stronger brewed tea.
A couple other things to note: In order to achieve a strong peach taste, it was a little thinner than other buttercream recipes. I noticed the piping didn’t hold shape as well due to this. But, I enjoyed the peach flavor! Also, due to the fresh peaches in the icing, you will need to refrigerate these cupcakes.
Another great aspect about the cupcake is it can easily be altered to suit your taste buds! You could replace the peaches with your favorite flavor of tea – raspberry, orange, etc. There are numerous possibilities to try!
- Box white cake mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/3 cup strongly brewed tea
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix sugar and flour into cake mix on large mixing bowl.
- Add in vanilla, eggs, sour cream, oil, and tea.
- Beat on low for 30 sec.
- Beat on medium for 1-2 minutes, until no lumps appear.
- Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Fill liners 3/4 full.
- Bake 18-22 minutes and then let cool
Peach buttercream ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1 Peach – I used a Ninja to pulverize them to liquid
- 1 lb Powdered sugar
Peach buttercream directions:
- Beat butter, Crisco, and 10 tsps of peach liquid in large mixing bowl.
- Beat in powdered sugar, adding around 1/2 lb at a time.
- Beat in any additional peach liquid if it’s too dry (or if you’d like a thinner icing)
- Once cupcakes are cooled, pipe onto cupcake.
Hope you enjoy this refreshing cupcake with light and tasty buttercream!