Over the last few years, I’ve really done my research on coupons and how to save money when going to the grocery store. It’s actually pretty fun when you’re at the cash register and you see that total drop, and drop, and drop! :) However, I would not classify myself as an extreme couponer (those people are quite crazy)! Thought I would combine some of my tips for you all for the next tome you visit your grocery store. As always, if you have any other tips, please comment and share them! :)
- Never go to the store without a list! It is the best thing to do because that way you won’t tend to stray from it because if it’s not on the list, then most likely you do not need it. :) My family uses an App called Cozi. As I said in a previous post, “This comes in handy if you have a family who all visits the grocery store or has a busy schedule. You can all share grocery/shopping list, calendar of events, and much more.”
- Never go to the store without coupons. Are you crazy?! There’s so many sources where you can clip coupons, you just have to spend some time and do some work. Here are a few of my favorite sites: Red Plum, Coupons.com, Southern Savers, Free Stuff Times, and Coupon Network.
- Always use Cash. If you take just want you need, then you know that’s all you need to spend. However if you pull out your credit card, odds are you think it’s just fine to throw that pack of Oreos in the cart! :)
- Never let leftovers go to waste! Sometimes the meals you make taste much better the second time around. I know the Bacon, Cabbage, and Noodles recipe that I posted does. :)
- Never go to the store hungry because we all know the bakery’s dozen cutout cookies always look delicious on an empty stomach…so do the bag of Doritos, Peanut Butter and Jelly, etc. Then when we get home we decide that a nice salad is what we should eat because we just stuffed our cupboards with all that junk food!! :)
- Always stock up on items that you use that are on sale. You never know when the next time they will be on sale, so why not buy those noodles, frozen veggies, etc?
- I’m not one that likes to buy “generic” foods/products, however, some of these items you can definitely buy while having a few extra bucks in your wallet.
- When you’re done with your list, you’re done. Don’t start throwing in items at the check out just because they look like a good ides or you think you need them!
- Try to go to the store alone so you can stick to your list and only your list.