Not too long ago we had to make some cornbread for a potluck. Now, I will say that I am OBSESSED with cornbread, but we’ve never made it before; until now. :) With this Sweet Cornbread recipe, we suggest altering the cooking time from the original recipe because it just didn’t cook quick enough on the suggested temperature. However, this recipe was quite delicious and I would LOVE to make it again! :) ENJOY!
- 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 c milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 c butter, melted
- 1 c cornmeal
- 2 c flour
- 1 and 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, vanilla, and cooled melted butter and stir.
- Mix in cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, stirring to incorporate, but do not over mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; carefully fold them into the batter.
- Pour into a greased 8×8 pan and bake for 40-45 minutes; check with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked through.