Last year was the first year in a while that we didn’t fry our turkey. It just wasn’t something we wanted to tackle with two little munchkins running around the house. Hot oil + two 1.5 year olds = a recipe for disaster. :) However, that didn’t mean that we had to skimp out on amazing tasting turkey! We tried this recipe, which I can 100% say was pretty much the most delicious turkey I think I’ve ever had. Yes, the skin wasn’t 100% crispy, but the inside was so moist and delicious that you’ll have to try The Perfect Roasted Turkey recipe! ENJOY! :)
The Perfect Roasted Turkey recipe
- 1 turkey, thawed
- 5-6 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 head garlic, peeled
- 2 c chicken broth
- 6 tbsp butter, divided, plus more, melted
- 1-2 tbsp parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place 1/2 prepared celery, carrots, onion and garlic on the bottom of your roasting pan.
- Next, place an elevated rack on top of veggies to keep the bird somewhat above the liquid
- Prepare your turkey by removing the added items (neck, giblets, gravy packet), but leave the tie on the legs; this helps keep it together.
- Place turkey on rack in your prepared pan while stuff remaining veggies inside turkey.
- Cut your butter into 1 tbsp pats and carefully lift skin away from meat and slide pats of butter in-between the skin and breast; also shove in 1 tbsp of parsley along with the butter.
- Add chicken stock to the bottom of the pan and brushed melted butter over the entire turkey topping with 1 tbsp more parsley
- Roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove, baste with liquid from the bottom, tent turkey with foil – return to oven at 375 degrees (MUST BE LOWERED).
- Continue roasting an additional 2-2.5 hours depending on the size of your turkey (check label for exact cooking times per size), basting every 40-45 minutes.
- Check temperature near the end – once your bird reach a minimum of 165 degrees in the thickest part of the turkey, you’re done!
- Remove and let rest 10-20 minutes before carving!