I saw this recipe on the Rachael Ray Show where it was made with Brats instead of sausage; however, our family does not like Brats so we substituted! And I must say that this Sausage with Red Cabbage still tasted delicious!! Probably one of my favorite recipes lately! :) ENJOY!
Sausage with Red Cabbage
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb red cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 3 crisp apples, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- links of sausages (your favorite variety)
- cooked pasta
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and arrange sausages on a slotted broiler pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and let soften; then wilt in cabbage.
- Toss with sugar and vinegar to coat; season with salt and pepper.
- Add apples, cumin and cinnamon; reduce heat to medium and cover.
- Cook to tender and when the liquids come out of cabbage; about 30 minutes.
- Serve cabbage mixture over cooked pasta, topped with sausage.